"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 11:57

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Custom Search

Post subject: Distances at Rio Public range
New postPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 16:14 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

I would like to practice with the rifle at 200+ during the week. It's been a while since I've been to the Rio public range, but I remember they had small and large steel plates in the distance. What is the size of those plates and the distances?

I also remember folks would drive along the left side of the public range during the cease fire to reset their targets in the distance. What is the distance to those targets and is driving along the side for Rio members only?

Last edited by nachotaco on 12 Dec 2011, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Distances at Rio Public range
New postPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 16:34 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

200 walk... plates and targets
300 plates only
don't know size..

New postPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 17:03 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I believe I was told the little plates at 300 yards were 12"x12"

New postPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 18:49 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I was under the impression that you couldn't set targets out at 200 and 300 anymore? (steel plates only) Something about an idiot that didn't tell anyone that he was going out there, and got stranded out there when the line went hot. The RO's saw somebody poking their head out from behind the berm to see if he could make an escape or not... [smilie=icon_eek.gif] [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

-WRM

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 19:12 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

WRMorrison wrote:
I was under the impression that you couldn't set targets out at 200 and 300 anymore? (steel plates only) Something about an idiot that didn't tell anyone that he was going out there, and got stranded out there when the line went hot. The RO's saw somebody poking their head out from behind the berm to see if he could make an escape or not... [smilie=icon_eek.gif] [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

-WRM

Not the case three weeks ago. People out at 200 resetting targets in orange vests. I'd be very surprised if they'd make a policy change like that.

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 19:14 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Mr.Maim wrote:
WRMorrison wrote:

-WRM

Not the case three weeks ago. People out at 200 resetting targets in orange vests. I'd be very surprised if they'd make a policy change like that.

Maybe they allow it now as long as you wear an orange vest...dunno. That's just what an RO told me the last time I was there and wanted to set a frame at 200. But, that was quite a while ago...

-WRM

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 19:21 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

They allow you to set frames at at least the 200 yard mark. I'm not sure about the 300.

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 19:34 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Oh yeah, they did nix it for a couple weeks early in the year. I thought you were talking about events more recent. People were not very happy for that time.

I really wish they'd open the high power range every once in a while for distance shooters to use that have not been "certified" to use it. I don't have the time to compete in 10 competitions then have to convince the match director that I should be blessed with the privelage to shoot there. Membership has increased by nearly 20% in the past three years... its time to open that HP range up a little more.

I say this as a multi-year member of Rio Salado Sportsman's Club.

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 19:47 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Mr.Maim wrote:
Oh yeah, they did nix it for a couple weeks early in the year. I thought you were talking about events more recent. People were not very happy for that time.

I really wish they'd open the high power range every once in a while for distance shooters to use that have not been "certified" to use it. I don't have the time to compete in 10 competitions then have to convince the match director that I should be blessed with the privelage to shoot there. Membership has increased by nearly 20% in the past three years... its time to open that HP range up a little more.

I say this as a multi-year member of Rio Salado Sportsman's Club.

As far as I know, you only have to compete in 3 events to have your card punched. At least, that's what I did. I had to let my membership lapse because I just couldn't justify the cost since I don't have much time to shoot anymore that I'm going back to school. I just wished that I could pay the normal fee for non-members, but use the HP range since I've been punched for it for a few years now...

-WRM

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 23:32 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

WRM is correct; shoot three matches on a range at Rio, and you can be signed off for that range. Caution; the guy running the 60 round prone match needs A LOT of social skill training. He's mostly bearable if you have anything more than medium to thick skin.

New postPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 08:22 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

The number of matches required to attend before given privileges varies by the range. Its 12 matches on the pistol bays. It is up to the match director of each range.

Upper Hand Defense LLC
upperhanddefense.com
facebook.com/Upperhanddefense