"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 16:07

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Las Vegas & North Las Vegas Law
New postPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 18:16 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Las Vegas & North Las Vegas Law

10.70.020 Loitering while carrying concealed.
(A) It is unlawful for any person, while carrying concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon to loaf or loiter upon any public street, sidewalk or alley or to wander about from place to place with no lawful business thereby to perform, or to hide, lurk or loiter upon or about the premises of another.
(B) It shall be unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon to loiter about any place where intoxicating liquors are sold or any other place of public resort.
(1949 code Ch. 38 § 5: prior code § 6-3-5)
9.32.050 Person with concealed weapon not to loiter.
It is unlawful for any person, while carrying concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon, to loaf or loiter upon any public street, sidewalk or alley, or to wander about from place to place with no lawful business thereby to perform, or to hide, lurk, or loiter upon or about the premises of another. It is unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon to loiter about any place where intoxicating liquors are sold or any other place of public resort. (Prior code § 7.22.050)

9.32.080 Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle--Exceptions.
It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation. (Ord. 596 § 1, 1978: prior code § 7.22.070)

12.04.200 Registration of firearms capable of being concealed.
It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, a gun, pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the same has first been registered with the sheriff or with a police department of any of the incorporated cities of Clark County. (Ord. 242 § 20, 1965)

Affordable Firearms training!
623-694-0377
AZ CCW classes are $40
Defensive Handgun Class is $65
http://www.blackwolfccw.com
www.azccwclasses.com

Post subject: Re: Las Vegas & North Las Vegas Law
New postPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 22:58 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I still don't understand what a Utah CCW overrides here. If I have a Utah CCW, I still have to follow these rules? Or no?

New postPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 23:04 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

asu174 wrote:
I still don't understand what a Utah CCW overrides here. If I have a Utah CCW, I still have to follow these rules? Or no?

Yes, you have to follow what ever the NV laws are. The Utah CCW lets you carry in NV with out getting an NV CCW. Regardless if you have Utah or who ever they (NV) recognize, you have to follow the laws of NV.

New postPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 23:19 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Hansen wrote:
asu174 wrote:

Yes, you have to follow what ever the NV laws are. The Utah CCW lets you carry in NV with out getting an NV CCW. Regardless if you have Utah or who ever they (NV) recognize, you have to follow the laws of NV.

That's what I thought. So, no CCW in North Las Vegas. That sucks. That's where I need it the most and actually why I got the Utah CCW.

New postPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 23:30 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

asu174 wrote:
Hansen wrote:
asu174 wrote:

That's what I thought. So, no CCW in North Las Vegas. That sucks. That's where I need it the most and actually why I got the Utah CCW.

If I remember correctly, any Nevada city/town that is under 440,000 in population, do not have to follow State firearms laws and can have thier own laws in regards to firearms/ccw's.... North Laws Vegas is only approx 256,000 in population....

As an FYI, Utah CCW laws are changing this year in mostly a good way, but I am not sure if it will have any effect on North Las Vegas.... A lot of thier laws are changing on 5-12-2009. Since I no longer do the Utah CCW, I will not be keeping up on them....

John

Affordable Firearms training!
623-694-0377
AZ CCW classes are $40
Defensive Handgun Class is $65
http://www.blackwolfccw.com
www.azccwclasses.com

New postPosted: 03 May 2009, 15:37 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Probably a good idea to steer clear of NLV with or without a sidearm. Not a nice place.

New postPosted: 04 May 2009, 00:10 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Rick Lee wrote:
Probably a good idea to steer clear of NLV with or without a sidearm. Not a nice place.

I can't steer clear of it since I work up there each month.

I heard rumor that North Las Vegas was going to be forced into adopting Nevada or at least Clark County law and allowing CCW holders there, but I could be wrong. Actually, I think Hansen mentioned something to that effect. Hansen? Are those the 5/12/09 changes that you know of?

Now I just need my CCW to show up...

New postPosted: 07 May 2009, 19:52 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

asu174 wrote:
Rick Lee wrote:

I can't steer clear of it since I work up there each month.

I heard rumor that North Las Vegas was going to be forced into adopting Nevada or at least Clark County law and allowing CCW holders there, but I could be wrong. Actually, I think Hansen mentioned something to that effect. Hansen? Are those the 5/12/09 changes that you know of?

Now I just need my CCW to show up...

The 5/12/2009 changes are for Utah Laws changes not Nevada.... I don't really know what is up with Vegas too much, I really don't keep up with thier law.

New postPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 19:15 
New to AZS

Hansen wrote:
asu174 wrote:

Nevada does not recognize Utah CCWs any longer. They dropped Utah and Florida from the list of recognized permits last year. We need to push to get our Arizona CCWs recognized in Nevada. The Executive Director of the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association (Frank Adams) says that the main obstacle to this recognition is that the AZ-DPS database of CCWs is not available to Nevada LEOs. In an email to me Frank said "Our law requires that the data base be available through the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications Network which our Nevada officers would have access to. When Arizona changes is data base to be accessible to Nevada officers, then I think that we will reconsider recognizing Arizona's CCW permits in Nevada." We need to encourage the AZ-DPS CCW Unit to see that this occurs. I have emailed them and their IT people are working on it.

New postPosted: 11 May 2010, 19:18 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Have we already discussed car carry in NV? IIRC, the law is silent on it, which means it's legal. I'm going to Vegas next weekend. And I was just watching an episode of Cops where a guy got busted in Vegas for picking up a hooker. Cop searched his truck for the used condom and came across a S&W .357 revolver. He let the guy go and made no mention of the gun whatsoever. I know it's just a tv show, but I'm hoping this is how most NV cops view car carry.

New postPosted: 17 Jul 2010, 11:41 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

These are 2008-09 laws, I will update when I get a chance too do so.

New postPosted: 19 Aug 2010, 00:08 
New to AZS

Rick,

From my Nevada CCW class in DEC09:

Except in North Las Vegas (Blue Residential Street Signs) or Boulder City without a Concealed Firearms Permit, You may have a loaded gun anywhere in the car without a holster or a case without a permit.

The instructor, who was a current LEO stated: “EVERYONE in Nevada has a loaded gun in the car.” He was surely exaggerating but his point was that LEOs expect everyone to have a firearm in the car and there is nothing wrong with doing so.

Declaimer: I am not a lawyer. This is just what I was told by the CCW instructor.

New postPosted: 21 Nov 2010, 21:55 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Hansen wrote:
9.32.080 Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle--Exceptions.
It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation. (Ord. 596 § 1, 1978: prior code § 7.22.070)

So that is just a LV/NLV law, not state law? Because:

SOCOMAZ-HK wrote:
Except in North Las Vegas (Blue Residential Street Signs) or Boulder City without a Concealed Firearms Permit, You may have a loaded gun anywhere in the car without a holster or a case without a permit.

The instructor, who was a current LEO stated: “EVERYONE in Nevada has a loaded gun in the car.” He was surely exaggerating but his point was that LEOs expect everyone to have a firearm in the car and there is nothing wrong with doing so.

The only places in the entire state that disallow car carry are NLV and Boulder City? Even Reno/Sparks is alright?
I ask because I am heading to Reno for a visit very soon and would like to know where I stand...

New postPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 00:05 
New to AZS

Nevada Has a preemption law. No City or town shall make their own regulations on firearms laws. Those laws are bogus. Doesn't mean they wont be enforced. Good ol' government, doing as they please. Even in Nevada.

New postPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 15:44 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

smtimelevi wrote:
Nevada Has a preemption law. No City or town shall make their own regulations on firearms laws.

Interesting, since every Nevada resident I know, esp those who teach firearms / CCW stuff there, say that the state preemption law doesn't apply to NLV or BC. They also report that nobody has bothered to challenge those laws in court, either. Funny thing...The Man has unlimited time and funds to prove a point. Most people do not.