ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: CCw law enforcement contact.
New postPosted: November 17th, 2012, 8:57 am 
New to AZS

is it the law or just a very good suggestion to inform law enforcement You are caring and when you make contact.

Post subject: Re: CCw law enforcement contact.
New postPosted: November 17th, 2012, 9:08 am 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

IMO, it's a very good idea to inform LEO's that you are carrying the moment you come into contact with them. Cops don't like to be surprised with that sort of thing.

However, the law states only that you must "accurately answer the officer" when they ask if you are carrying a concealed deadly weapon.

See 13-3102.A.1.b at the link below for more info.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03102.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

New postPosted: November 17th, 2012, 9:26 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Or you can wait until he's feeling you up, and politely ask him to not touch the "trigger".
Either one...

New postPosted: November 17th, 2012, 10:50 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I have gotten out of a few tickets by simply handing the officer my CCW with my DL. They appreciate the up front honesty. I even had one officer say "where is the firearm located", I told him and he said "Lets make a deal... You don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine" I thought that was nice of him to not do the standard lets see it, run numbers, empty mag and give it all back to me in pieces with instructions not to touch it until hes gone...

New postPosted: November 17th, 2012, 3:28 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Seems to be procedure the last few years for any officer to ask real quick " Do you have any weapons?" as one of the first couple questions.
So if you say no and he decides there is reason to search and finds one that will go badly.
I just answer questions asked and do not offer anything more than asked for.

New postPosted: November 17th, 2012, 4:20 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Depends how you 'make contact' - OP was not clear, and all following posters assumeda traffic stop.

You have no 'duty to inform' (as in Alaska), but do have the obligation to answer honestly if asked.

New postPosted: November 17th, 2012, 6:07 pm 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

HairyEyeball wrote:
Depends how you 'make contact' - OP was not clear, and all following posters assumeda traffic stop.

You have no 'duty to inform' (as in Alaska), but do have the obligation to answer honestly if asked.

I only saw one poster who assumed that the contact was due to a traffic stop. Either way, I would say it is a good idea to immediately inform in just about every possible situation that you come in contact with a LEO.

New postPosted: November 17th, 2012, 6:45 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

This is just me but the way I proceed in a traffic stop is to wait with my hands clearly visible on the upper portion of the steering wheel until the officer approaches my car (if its at night, I will turn on the dome light to clearly light up my hands.) I let him open the conversation but I quickly inform him I am a CCW holder and am presently carrying a firearm <on/in, wherever it/they are located> and ask how he/she would like me to proceed. Then just follow along with whatever they say to do. Most of these folks are decent about it and, as mentioned above, appreciate the heads-up.

I've been on both sides of these and I just feel more comfortable making sure we are BOTH fully aware of the situation. That way, no body does anything they might regret (hopefully!)

If its other than a traffic stop, just remember to keep your hands well visible to the officer and sort of do as above.

Oh, and for cripes sake, don't blurt out something like "I have a GUN", remember that second guy coming up on the right can't hear the conversation real well and if its some rookie who just hears the word "GUN" you likely will get one pointed at you ... and you all know how FNG's get the shakes ... makes me nervous just thinking about it! :D

New postPosted: November 25th, 2012, 12:48 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Of course the day after I take my CCW course I would have LEO run in. Not even my fault really, was pulled over because I left my apt complex that they had just gotten a call to. Carry without the permit, informed the officer after the initial questioning, told him my revolver was IWB and speed loader in my pocket. They ran ID and numbers while making sure I wasn't the guy they had gotten called about. Officer even asked me a few questions about my LCR, guess he liked it. Speed loader and revolver went into the trunk and I got handed a handful of .38 ammo with instructions not to retrieve it until they had left. Honestly went much smoother than I thought my first LEO encounter would have while carrying.

New postPosted: November 25th, 2012, 2:12 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I always find it interesting that some LEO's empty a magazine or cylinder before returning a weapon. I would think having their fingerprints on someone's ammo is not a bright idea. Anybody know if a Forensic examination of a fired case can recover a fingerprint?

New postPosted: November 25th, 2012, 2:58 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Oh hell ya. Ive seen my own burned into the case after some reloads I have fired. The oil in your fingers stays on the case for a long long time.

New postPosted: November 25th, 2012, 6:42 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

harleypower69 wrote:
I always find it interesting that some LEO's empty a magazine or cylinder before returning a weapon. I would think having their fingerprints on someone's ammo is not a bright idea. Anybody know if a Forensic examination of a fired case can recover a fingerprint?

Prints can be recovered from almost anything. Latent prints can be taken from paper too real easy.