ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:17

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Custom Search

Post subject: Opinions on Marlin 795 .22lr??
New postPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 22:16 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Seeing store ads for a Marlin model 795 for ~$100 after factory rebate.
Just looking for a plinker that will be fun to shoot, but would like reasonable reliability, also.
Any thoughts you'd care to share on the product??
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on Marlin 795 .22lr??
New postPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 22:23 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

There is nothing available aftermarket wise. No higher capacity mags, bull barrels, stocks, etc.

For an extra $100 I went with a ruger 10/22 from walmart for $197 + tax

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 03:14 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Basic13 wrote:
There is nothing available aftermarket wise. No higher capacity mags, bull barrels, stocks, etc.

That's true, but the Marlin is a respectable rifle on it's own. Off the shelf I think it is a better rifle than the basic 10/22.

If you want a basic plinker, you can't go wrong with the Marlin. If you want to do a lot of customizing, it isn't for you.

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 11:19 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Thanks.

Not looking to heavily "optionize" a .22 (maybe a scope later).

Simply looking for a fairly reliable plinker that my wife (oh, ok, me too) can punch holes in paper (or aluminum, or obnoxious plush toys, etc.) with, minus the higher costs associated with larger calibers.

I'd like for her to be comfortable with using iron sights, rather than relying on optics, and to become proficient at the "basics" of sighting down a long gun.

I was thinking that the Marlin 795 would fit the bill at a pretty reasonable cost.

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 15:27 
New to AZS

Basic13 wrote:

Wrong, the Model 60 has been around for years and years, and its nearly the same action as the 795. All model 60 stocks and accessories can be adapted to the 795 with minor modification. ATI, Boyds and many others make good stocks for the model 60 and can all be adaptedto the 795. Hell they even make Ramline folding stocks for these guns.

I frequent the marlin boards at rimfirecentral and have become very proficient with these rifles, and in my personal direct comparison .. a Marlin micro groove barrel will shoot better than a 10/22 right out of the box. Also don't get me wrong .. if you want to go custom crazy then the Ruger is the way to go.

Though I will say I've seen Marlins decked out just like 10/22's now. Also hi capacity magazines for the 795 are in beta testing from a certain manufacture and a Marlin 7000 barrel can be used as a bull barrel.

Here's my 795 sitting in the ATI Drugnov stock, ill get a picture that shows the whole stock soon.

here's someone from another board's 795 in the ramline folding stock:

as you can see, there's a lot that can be done thanks to the model 60.

Last edited by Tek on 15 Dec 2010, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 15:51 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

My two 795s have taken a fair amount of rabbits and jacks. I've used Federal Bulk Pack almost exclusively and have had very few issues. I think I've cleaned mine once after it fell off the top of my trunk into the sand, getting fine particles all up in the action.

My only complaint is that the outside of the barrels will rust in humid environments (ex. swamp cooler) if you don't wipe them off after handling. Nothing like old surplus firearms, but definitely noticeable if left alone.

For general plinking and hunting, I like them better than 10/22s. This is straight out of the box - never really played with a decked out version of either for any reasonable amount of time.

- Thomas Jefferson -

New postPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 16:56 
New to AZS

I should also add that DIP Inc has a line of custom parts for the marlin 795 and model 60 including aluminum trigger guards, adjustable target triggers, charging handles and even picatinny rails. The custom market for marlins has grown fast for us tinker types, so to say you can't mod this rifle is way off base.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3603

New postPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 14:32 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Tek wrote:
Basic13 wrote:

Wrong, the Model 60 has been around for years and years, and its nearly the same action as the 795. All model 60 stocks and accessories can be adapted to the 795 with minor modification. ATI, Boyds and many others make good stocks for the model 60 and can all be adaptedto the 795. Hell they even make Ramline folding stocks for these guns.

I frequent the marlin boards at rimfirecentral and have become very proficient with these rifles, and in my personal direct comparison .. a Marlin micro groove barrel will shoot better than a 10/22 right out of the box. Also don't get me wrong .. if you want to go custom crazy then the Ruger is the way to go.

Though I will say I've seen Marlins decked out just like 10/22's now. Also hi capacity magazines for the 795 are in beta testing from a certain manufacture and a Marlin 7000 barrel can be used as a bull barrel.

Here's my 795 sitting in the ATI Drugnov stock, ill get a picture that shows the whole stock soon.

here's someone from another board's 795 in the ramline folding stock:

as you can see, there's a lot that can be done thanks to the model 60.

So the accessories for this rifle are made for other Marlins and require modifications to fit? [smilie=anim_banghead.gif]

Higher capacity magazines are in the works? :s

And you can PROVE that the micro barrel is better because someone said so on the internet? ;)

Alright, you won me over...I went to buy one last night at Cabelas....but I couldnt find an accessories. I then went over to sportsmans warehouse...nope, no accessories. :|

New postPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 14:50 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

The 795 meets the requirements that the OP mentioned. It is a great plinker out of the box with just enough built-in features to be useful. It is a tremendous value for the price.

The micro-groove barrel is proven tech that has been around quite a while.

The only thing I might suggest adding to a 795 would be a set of tech sights so you could have a service rifle style sight picture.

New postPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 01:32 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Thanks for the info, gang.
From the comments, and a brief fondling at the store, the little fella appears to fit the bill (and SWAMBO's general stature) just fine.
Picked one up (plus a little over 1K rounds just to fill the pipeline), and an extra 10 round magazine to go with.
Think she'll get a hint on Christmas morning due to:
a) the long rectagular box which is a bit heavier on one end (not likely to be mistaken for a belt), or
b) the rattling noise that 500+ loose rounds make in the box, or
c) the goofball shape of a factory Marlin magazine package (ain't no way to wrap that without putting it into a box to disguise the oddness of it...)

Anyway, thanks for the opinions. Much appreciated!!

New postPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 11:59 
New to AZS

Basic13 wrote:
So the accessories for this rifle are made for other Marlins and require modifications to fit? [smilie=anim_banghead.gif] Yes a lot of model 60 stuff works with the 795, anyone with half a brain could adapt the parts, the rifles are the same.. one is mag fed and the other tube.

Higher capacity magazines are in the works? :s Yes, BigShrek at rimefirecentral should have one to test soon. Also if you do the research you would find there already are hi cap mags that work in the 795 but they are rare.

And you can PROVE that the micro barrel is better because someone said so on the internet? ;) If you read my post better I used the words "personal direct comparison". I do own a 10/22 in original form and I can tell you the micro groove barrel of the marlin groups better with the same ammo on a locked bench rig. Feel free to research the subject a bit more rather than assume, there are velocities and twist rates involved that compliment the micro groove barrel's accuracy.

Alright, you won me over...I went to buy one last night at Cabelas....but I couldnt find an accessories. I then went over to sportsmans warehouse...nope, no accessories. :| For one you probably weren't looking for model 60 accessories (nearly the same gun) and Two I've already linked a great company above with 3 pages of goodies for the 795.

Read the quote, my responses are in bold.

I know many of us like to tinker, hell I love an excuse to spend the night with my beer and my work bench.. the 795 is great for anyone like that. I've fit two different stocks to this rifle and had a great time doing it, nothing like a good project.

The 10/22 is great if you wish to shop off the shelf for "plug and play" options, and over all it is a very good rifle. Just don't scratch the marlin off the list, its price point and function are awesome!

Congrats on the purchase Rescue2 .. I know you will be happy. Here's a little Christmas bonus: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Rebates/r ... ng2010.asp
That's a link for a $25 rebate on the 795 (they have these all year)

New postPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 19:13 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Never said anything bad about the rifle, I've owned a few Marlins and thought they were top notch. Maybe I should rephrase my intial post.

"There are not AS MANY aftermarket accessories. That is why I personally went with the Ruger 10/22.

BTW, Congrats on the purchase. I am sure someone will have an unforgettable Christmas morning opening a firearm. I can remember opening a present that turned out to be a Remington 870 Youth model 20gauge on my 10th Christmas.

New postPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 22:36 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Update from Christmas Eve:

After the more upsettable members of the family left the homestead (yeah, I wussed out a bit, but I don't need the additional Christian agitation on a regular basis), Santa dropped a couple of gift wrapped 525 packs of Remington .22lr ammo on the kitchen table amongst the chafing dishes and serving plates...

And the oddly wrapped spare ten round magazine.

Explaination when pressed was that when we go shooting with our friends, we'll have ammunition and an extra magazine to demonstrate our refusal to be leaches. Explaination registered and acccepted in the most normal/gullible fashion. Skating free here, ala Santa on a Mission...

Within the next 1/2 hour, approached SWAMBO with the long(ish) rectangular gift wrapped box, and her first question was, "Is this a .22??" Answered in a slightly ambiguous affirmative, to which she replied, "NEAT!!"

Yeah it wasn't an overtly romantic Christmas gift, but she's happy with it, and eager to get out and plink-i-fy some paper targets, tin cans, and obnoxious stuffed animals of a commercially promoted childrens show (read that as Elmo or Barney...)

I think I did okay, as SWAMBO is pleased, she's also indicated that I can use it too, and besides, nothing says Merry Christmas like a new firearm!!!