ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 23:12

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nat Geo's new show, 'Doomsday Preppers' airs 02-07-12
New postPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 15:21 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Doesn't everyone back off 100 yards from their house and shoot it with .22s to see if they'll penetrate the walls?

I know I'm thinking of doing it after seeing the show. [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif]

Flash

New postPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 16:12 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I can't watch these anymore, they just shame me as to how unprepared I am. Near as I can tell, we live in the worst place on earth for a SHTF situation. No water (or rain) to drink, no place to fish or hunt, nothing can be grown, relatively few escape routes, deadly temperatures, and little sense of community. All we have in greater Phoenix are 5 million testy people, in a concrete oven, with lots of guns and ammo.

Sadly, I don't have enough resources, to prepare for not having enough resources, (while living in the cul de sac of Quislings). Could we please postpone the apocalypse until I retire?

New postPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 16:24 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

j.digriz wrote:
I can't watch these anymore, they just shame me as to how unprepared I am. Near as I can tell, we live in the worst place on earth for a SHTF situation. No water (or rain) to drink, no place to fish or hunt, nothing can be grown, relatively few escape routes, deadly temperatures, and little sense of community. All we have in greater Phoenix are 5 million testy people, in a concrete oven, with lots of guns and ammo.

Sadly, I don't have enough resources, to prepare for not having enough resources, (while living in the cul de sac of Quislings). Could we please postpone the apocalypse until I retire?

Discover cannibalism. Ask me how.

ImageImage

New postPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:58 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

j.digriz wrote:

You make a lot of good points...f'ing depressing, but good! [smilie=icon_cry.gif]

Guess I'd make sure and at least save enough ammo to do yourself and loved ones if the SHTF. Better than being eaten a little at a time by atfsux. [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

New postPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 20:35 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Flash wrote:
Doesn't everyone back off 100 yards from their house and shoot it with .22s to see if they'll penetrate the walls?

I know I'm thinking of doing it after seeing the show. [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif]

Flash

Oh sure the steel walls stopped the powerful .22 long rifle but how would it stand up to................22 magnum?.........or .17HMR? They didn't consider that did they?

New postPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 23:55 
New to AZS

j.digriz wrote:

Being prepared is more of a mind set thing to me then having deep pockets. I know I can't stock up and food, water, ect the way I want to. I try and fill in the gaps with knowledge on how to take care of me and my family. Just hypothetically, if you droped someone from our armed forces and a school teacher or lawyer, into ...I don't know, the twilight zone, and gave the school teacher or lawyer aIn unfair advantage by giving them food and water, I would still bet on our unknown armed forces person. Not because there military but because they have the knowledge to survive. I have a simple bug out bag, which really isn't a bug out bag it's a use for any emergency bag, some supplies in our car. I like to think I have a head on my shoulders and that's what will get me through, or I'm an idiot and should be stock piling food and doing a reality show proving to my nabors IM CRAZY! Who knows?

New postPosted: 13 Feb 2012, 01:06 
New to AZS

j.digriz wrote:

Sadly I was thinking the same thing. However I do not need a whole basement of food, water, ammo, and guns. Just a bug out bag, a good plan, and a few good guns with ammo. Worst case scenario I'll just have to friend someone on the show! LOL

New postPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 00:34 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Flash wrote:

Flash

It scares me a little that he and I think alike. I too have considered building a castle out of shipping containers out in the desert. Plus I've done plenty of research on methane bio-digesters.

New postPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 07:23 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I'm enjoying it. The 0.1 acre 'urban garden' was great! Scottsdale's own Tim (ol' 9.5 fingers) Ralston was an interesting insight, how do you do that? [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

Hmm, must've broke rule #2...

UNGH.

administrator wrote:
I banned him because I was in a bad mood.

leverman wrote:
I find it astounding how STUPID gun owners can be.

New postPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 09:03 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I liked the show. Some interesting idea's being shared. But I didn't understand the mindset of "why" or "what" these folks were preparing for. My own train of thought is to be prepared for anything and not just one event.

The critique's were a nice touch as well...even though the anti gun family refused to listen. They will have a nice stash for some thug to take because they have no means of protecting it or themselves. Btw, that fat bastard will destroy himself long before anything else will! [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

New postPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 09:03 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

AR-15Man wrote:
It scares me a little that he and I think alike. I too have considered building a castle out of shipping containers out in the desert. Plus I've done plenty of research on methane bio-digesters.

There's one I see every once in a while when I'm doing jobs at Area 51 (The Nevada Test Site to those who work there). It's about halfway between Area 51 and Las Vegas, out in the middle of nowhere, and located perhaps 1/2 mile off the highway.

Flash

New postPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

j.digriz wrote:

Thinking the exact same thing... As I was watching last night I was remembering the I-17 north on the weekends and the I-10 during rush hour and the long lines of stopped traffic during "good times" let alone the whole city trying to get away. The "bug out" drills make a lot of sense in other areas but here in the valley it will really be difficult to get out of town :(

New postPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 20:43 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

There are many aspects of the information on that program that are not clear. For example, take the fellow who apparently lives in the Valley and wants to prepare for an EM pulse (the guy who nearly removed his thumb). He has a Jeep with a trailer to move his "stuff" out to his bug out location. If an EM pulse were to occur, his Jeep isn't going to operate. How does he get his trailer full of equipment and supplies to his bug out location?

New postPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 09:03 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Silica wrote:
There are many aspects of the information on that program that are not clear. For example, take the fellow who apparently lives in the Valley and wants to prepare for an EM pulse (the guy who nearly removed his thumb). He has a Jeep with a trailer to move his "stuff" out to his bug out location. If an EM pulse were to occur, his Jeep isn't going to operate. How does he get his trailer full of equipment and supplies to his bug out location?

Older ignition systems (early 70's and older) are less susceptible to EMP, so it is possible to have a running vehicle in the aftermath of an EMP,...but that Jeep ain't it.

ImageImage

New postPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 13:09 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I still like how the AZ represenative blew his finger off. damn it :(

POF .308 w/ JP 22" barrel

.308- because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next