ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 08:42

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Educate me: What is the big deal with Krinkovs?
New postPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 10:21 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I've been looking to either hack an AK rifle down, or get an AK pistol and SBR it... off and on for several years. Just started looking into this again and now I'm seeing that Krinkovs and Dracos both fit the bill for what I have in mind. The question is this:

What makes a Krinkov worth 1K to 3K and a Draco-C go for $350?

The obvious visual differences are that the front gas block on a Krinkov is farther aft of the muzzle than the Draco, front sights are different, and the Krinkov actually appears to be slightly shorter than the Draco-C, but that is just based on pictures I have seen here an elsewhere online.

Educate me, I really want to know!

Post subject: Re: Educate me: What is the big deal with Krinkovs?
New postPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 11:19 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

They are rare, that's about it.

Visit: http://nyan.cat/ The interweb's way, truth and light.

New postPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 11:27 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Really? That's it?

Are they the AKS-74U? Is that the Krinkov?

Looks like AZEX does some outstanding work on them based on several owners' pictures I've seen in the AK picture thread.

New postPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 12:48 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

There's a few varieties. The AKS74U, the Bulgarians have made a variety of krinks in the 74U style in various calibers, the Yugoslavians have their underfolding M92, then there's the Draco.

The Draco isn't really a "krink" because it uses a standard AKM dust cover and rear sight base assembly. A hinged dust cover with rear sight on the cover is one of the defining features of a krinkov.

New postPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 13:16 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Availability and cool factor. Dracos are relatively new production new import Romanian firearms while true AKS74U kits are rare, expensive when found, and have a high collectability factor with enthusiasts. Technically, the name "Krinkov" itself stirs a lot of controversy. Neither the Russians nor the Bulgarians call it that. Common internet lore says that the term was developed during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan but there is no official proof of this. Even still, "Krinkovs" only referred to the the original and very distinct Soviet and Bulgarian AKS74U, but now it seems that any short barreled AKM or AK 74 derivative falls into that category as TheRedHorseman mentioned.

I think one factor in its notoriety is that it was one of the firearms that bin Laden was always seen with in his pics and videos.

The recent barrel ban makes an original kit with barrel even more desirable. A Draco is simply a run of the mill Romanian AIM (Romanian for AKM), in a useless pistol form, but at the very least is cheaper overall to SBR. I would say get the Draco if you just want to have a short AK. A "Krink" is definitely spendy and is more for the collector crowd.

It's like many other firearms in this hobby of ours, availability and dumb ass laws drive prices moreso than quality sometimes.

New postPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 15:03 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

TheRedHorseman wrote:
There's a few varieties. The AKS74U, the Bulgarians have made a variety of krinks in the 74U style in various calibers, the Yugoslavians have their underfolding M92, then there's the Draco.

The Draco isn't really a "krink" because it uses a standard AKM dust cover and rear sight base assembly. A hinged dust cover with rear sight on the cover is one of the defining features of a krinkov.

Ahhhh okay, now I know what to look for. Those features and the distinctly different front sight/gas block.

CGSteve wrote:
Availability and cool factor. Dracos are relatively new production new import Romanian firearms while true AKS74U kits are rare, expensive when found, and have a high collectability factor with enthusiasts. Technically, the name "Krinkov" itself stirs a lot of controversy. Neither the Russians nor the Bulgarians call it that. Common internet lore says that the term was developed during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan but there is no official proof of this. Even still, "Krinkovs" only referred to the the original and very distinct Soviet and Bulgarian AKS74U, but now it seems that any short barreled AKM or AK 74 derivative falls into that category as TheRedHorseman mentioned.

I think one factor in its notoriety is that it was one of the firearms that bin Laden was always seen with in his pics and videos.

The recent barrel ban makes an original kit with barrel even more desirable. A Draco is simply a run of the mill Romanian AIM (Romanian for AKM), in a useless pistol form, but at the very least is cheaper overall to SBR. I would say get the Draco if you just want to have a short AK. A "Krink" is definitely spendy and is more for the collector crowd.

It's like many other firearms in this hobby of ours, availability and dumb ass laws drive prices moreso than quality sometimes.

Outstanding! Thank you very much for the detail, I appreciate it! ...and yes, I will be getting a Draco. Why not, right? :D

New postPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 13:40 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

They look cool, there's not that many out there, gotta register with the ATF more rare than your standard AK. I'd like one, but not for the prices that they are going for.

New postPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 13:59 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Pretty one for sale on this board viewtopic.php?f=26&t=132880&view=unread#unread

New postPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 14:09 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Location: behind you, beside you, in front of you in Phoenix.az , with you.
I thinks they be kinda cute, in a krinkov sorta way, most shoot a little better than others too,
jmo

New postPosted: 01 Sep 2011, 18:30 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Because they are rare and have the sights mounted on the dust cover. Dracos dont have the later.

If you dont care, AZEX is doing some real nice SBR builds with Dracos for under $1k.

If you could buy a factory Krinkov in 5.45 for under $2k, I would own one, but paying close to that for a kit gun, not so much.

New postPosted: 01 Sep 2011, 21:14 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

You can do a Draco Build for right around $800 or even less and that is including the Tax Stamp. It will all depend on the type of stock that you want. They are built with the under folder trunnion but you could bold a side folding ACE Stock or whatever you want as well. If you do an under folding stock and you plan on putting a grip on it try the AFG it works great with an under folding stock, it fits perfectly and does NOT get in the way of magazine changes. One day I will post some pics of mine I had Derrick at AZEX do the paperwork, the engraving, and the gunsmith work and there is ZERO wobble in the stock. Oh and last but not least the Draco has been 100% reliable. Hope this helps out a bit.

New postPosted: 01 Sep 2011, 21:26 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Or you can have him do one like this.

AZEX wrote:
I think your dick beaters might be a bit big for this gun...hold hands with me so I can be sure.

D.

New postPosted: 02 Sep 2011, 09:24 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

That is a pretty pimp build.

New postPosted: 02 Sep 2011, 10:51 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Man I wish we could embed videos from other than Youtube.

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p189 ... rinkov.mp4

New postPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 19:36 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I've been really wanting to pick up a Draco after seeing these new builds with them.