"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:44

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New legislation "Suppressors for Hunting in AZ"
New postPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 10:22 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... ost3074138

Just found this over on Snipershide. This will get my full support.

Post subject: Re: New legislation "Suppressors for Hunting in AZ"
New postPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 02:44 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Hunting squirrel (even rabbit) with a suppressed 22lr would be great.

AZCDL Mbr
JPFO Mbr
Repeal GCA'68!!

New postPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 04:04 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Would be nice to see this implemented.

looks like another thread on the issue here:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=149925

"Only repeated, multiplied oppressions placing it beyond all doubt that their rulers had formed settled plans to deprive them of their liberties, could warrant the concerted resistance of the people against their government" -J.A.

New postPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 05:45 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

sonofbp wrote:
Would be nice to see this implemented.

looks like another thread on the issue here:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=149925

Yeah, but that's the AzCDL Section/Area. The rules there tend to limit the commentary. In this section we're not so narrowly confined to questions to the AzCDL.

For example we can discuss how interesting it would be to ventilate a tree rat with a subsonic 22lr without alerting every other tree rat within a mile. They are smart little buggers.

Ya think a 60gr would be too large? [smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

AZCDL Mbr
JPFO Mbr
Repeal GCA'68!!

New postPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 20:30 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I see it as a great benefit all around. From small game to predator hunting, I'd be most excited about varmint hunting though. It's hard to beat shooting suppressed over a prarie dog town.

New postPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 21:34 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Barry Jung and the editorial staff of the AZ Republic will be soiling their panties over this.

New postPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 16:45 
New to AZS

What a great way for the poachers to keep from getting caught. Just another way for bad hunters to even up the odds. For God sake guys we are carrying guns and shooting tree rats, how much more of an advantage do we really need? As far as predators go seems people don't even bother calling them in close anymore. I was talking to guy and he was bragging about taking a coyote at 250yds. When I used to hunt coyotes we used shotguns and 22lr pistols so we could turn the pelts in. Shot enough coyotes and bobcats that it does not even interest me anymore.

New postPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 18:54 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

6x6pinz wrote:
What a great way for the poachers to keep from getting caught. Just another way for bad hunters to even up the odds. For God sake guys we are carrying guns and shooting tree rats, how much more of an advantage do we really need? As far as predators go seems people don't even bother calling them in close anymore. I was talking to guy and he was bragging about taking a coyote at 250yds. When I used to hunt coyotes we used shotguns and 22lr pistols so we could turn the pelts in. Shot enough coyotes and bobcats that it does not even interest me anymore.

What a crock.

How many poachers are going to spend 500-1000 for a can, pay the feds 200 and then wait 6 months for the paperwork so that they can poach? And what makes you think those that poach and have suppressors are not already doing it? Hell they are poaching, you know, breaking the law...
Even if it got used by poachers how is that any reason to stop LAW abiding citizens from using their suppressors for hunting? Maybe we want to be able to hunt without alerting game with gun shots. 4 of us from this board went hunting this year in Nebraska for deer. A state that allows the use of suppressors while hunting. We didn't poach anything. We were however able to continue to hunt the same ranch without alerting the whole area when we took a deer. It also didn't startle or frighten any cattle in the area, something the people who own the ranch appreciate.
As for hunting predators, if suppressors get allowed I'll still use a call, why not. And if someone chooses not to, that is none of my business, as long as the animal is taken in a manner that confirms to the law and people follow up on any game they shoot.

New postPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 19:01 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Tim McBride wrote:
How many poachers are going to spend 500-1000 for a can, pay the feds 200 and then wait 6 months for the paperwork so that they can poach? And what makes you think those that poach and have suppressors are not already doing it? Hell they are poaching, you know, breaking the law...
Even if it got used by poachers how is that any reason to stop LAW abiding citizens from using their suppressors for hunting? Maybe we want to be able to hunt without alerting game with gun shots. 4 of us from this board went hunting this year in Nebraska for deer. A state that allows the use of suppressors while hunting. We didn't poach anything. We were however able to continue to hunt the same ranch without alerting the whole area when we took a deer. It also didn't startle or frighten any cattle in the area, something the people who own the ranch appreciate.
As for hunting predators, if suppressors get allowed I'll still use a call, why not. And if someone chooses not to, that is none of my business, as long as the animal is taken in a manner that confirms to the law and people follow up on any game they shoot.

AMEN 8)

I never understood what the taboo surrounding suppressor use in the U.S. was all about anyway... Hell, in other countries (even where the gun laws BLOW) they ENCOURAGE the use of suppressors, while here in the U.S., people either think your trying to be an assassin or a poacher. They need to hurry up and pass this so we can varmint hunt suppressed, at night, with NVG's...

-WRM

New postPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 13:10 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

From the AZCDL Newsletter:

On Wednesday, February 8, 2012, HB 2728 is scheduled to be heard in the House Military Affairs and Public Safety (MAPS) Committee. This bill would prohibit the Arizona Game and Fish Commission from banning the lawful possession or use of sound suppressors when hunting.

AZCDL Mbr
JPFO Mbr
Repeal GCA'68!!

New postPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 13:23 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Suppressors equals more poachers is a silly answer. With that case then shouldnt we ban bows & crossbows because they are low noise weapons. [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif]

New postPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 11:49 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

This would really make me buy a .223 for sure for coyote hunting if this passes.

New postPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 17:56 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I think a suppressed varmint gun would be great. I hate wearing ears on a coyote stand, but my AR is so loud that I will if that's what I'm shooting. I don't think it will promote poaching, but may prevent some hearing loss. For the price though I probably wouldn't do it. Well, maybe. It would be fun to shoot too. I guess I'd probably set up a suppressed AR eventually. I don't care enough about squirrels, I'll just move on down the road. I do alright without a suppressor :)

New postPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 21:18 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

The main benefit for me would be hearing protection. While hunting, I never wear ear protection. I should though, as I've lost most of it already in both ears. This way, I'd feel less guilty while hunting without ears. Plus, the thought of possibly being able to take more than one coyote on a single stand (if given the opportunity) sounds very appealing...

-WRM

New postPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 21:19 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I would like to see this pass. My kids enjoy it when we go out and shoot the suppressed 22lr and would be nice to go for squirrel/rabbits.