ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:15

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Custom Search

Post subject: first time reloader
New postPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 17:25 
New to AZS

hello, I'm looking for a reloading kit so I can start reloading 9mm, 357 mag, 38 special and .308. I was looking for some advice on what would be a decent reloader that wont break the bank. I'm not looking to crank out 100+ rounds a minute. How would something like this would?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

Post subject: Re: first time reloader
New postPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 18:24 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Take a good look at Dillon. They are a great Arizona company and really do have a 'no BS' warranty.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/

New postPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 18:29 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Id have to 2nd dillon. I was going to do the Hornady LNL kit, but decided to do dillon cause they r local, and if there are any issues that come up, they r a phone call or drive away. Its paid off for me already once. I totally screwed up my .223 die. few cases, no lube, stuck like hell and finally got it out after pretty much destroying the die. i called dillon, said i screwed up and i f*cked it up. they said no worries and sent me a new 1! got it 2 days later. That right there was worth the extra price of a 550 over LNL and im a customer for life.

POF .308 w/ JP 22" barrel

.308- because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.

New postPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 18:57 
New to AZS

Thanks, the Dillons look like awesome presses but I dont think thats in the budget right now. Trying to keep the overall price around 500. I already have about 300 cases in each cal to reload.

New postPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 20:35 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

That's a pretty good kit. Check out lee factory sales, they have pretty good prices if you decide on the Lee. If you purchase from midway make sure and get a promo code from the deals section. One thing to remember about the Dillon BL 550 basic press is that it is upgradeable to a full progressive press. You will also need some calipers and dies to go with either kit you buy. I use Lee dies for pistol cals and rcbs for rifle. I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions. If you buy another make of press i would go ahead and buy the Lee manual, there is a lot of info in it that will help a new re loader get started. Stay safe and good luck. PS, Mr Flash's post's are gospel. No joke. SB [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 06:38 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

andysc3 wrote:
hello, I'm looking for a reloading kit so I can start reloading 9mm, 357 mag, 38 special and .308. I was looking for some advice on what would be a decent reloader that wont break the bank. I'm not looking to crank out 100+ rounds a minute. How would something like this would?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

This is an excellent choice for the money. I've had the older version of one of these for a long, long time and it works great and is definitely more cost effective than other options. Also, a caliber conversion only costs around $10.00 for another turret and whatever it costs for another set of dies with a shell holder. That's a lot cheaper than most of the alternatives.

Flash

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 07:21 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

The Lee 4 hole turret press is an excellent value and I have one myself, but DONT buy it from Midway. For your Lee gear check our Factory Sales (fsreloading.com) or even MidSouth Shooters Supply (www.midsouthshooters.com). They are a bunch cheaper than Midway. I rarely buy anything from Midway anymore, even with their discount codes, as they don't come close to matching the prices at MidSouth.

_coder

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” - William Pitt

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 10:04 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

That 4 hole turret is the one and only for me. Knew nothing when I bought it, still know little, but it works well. Pretty low cost, and pistol ammo comes out little less than 1/2 half of commercial ammo. Not the fastest but with focus I can do about 150 per hour. I did get turretts for each caliber, and a powder micrometer for each load, so change is quick.

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 11:24 
New to AZS

Why do most reloaders seem to prefer either Lee or RCBS presses and there seems to be little interest in Horndays? All the discussions I read about in these forums the writers suggest newbies buy the Lee or RCBS bands with Dillion coming in 3rd. Just curious.

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 12:33 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

wellhead wrote:
Why do most reloaders seem to prefer either Lee or RCBS presses and there seems to be little interest in Horndays? All the discussions I read about in these forums the writers suggest newbies buy the Lee or RCBS bands with Dillion coming in 3rd. Just curious.

In my case, I started out with RCBS 'way back when Moses parted the Red Sea. After using it for a lot of years, I gravitated to Lee, first the turret presses and then the progressive as well as the turret.

Along the way I bought a top end Dillon which I still have and use.

I've used dies from almost every major manufacturer and one minor one, Bair, which I still have and use occasionally but for some unknown reason I've never used Hornady dies either. The only Hornady product I've ever used is their .458 caliber bullets, and I've used a lot of them.

Sad to say, I've never used a Hornady press, dies or tool of any kind. There's no particular reason for this, it's just that I never have.

And since I've never used one, I won't recommend it or knock it to anybody else. I have to have hands on experience with something to comment one way or the other.

Flash

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 13:54 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I started with a rock chucker single stage press first off. It really shows you everything that's going on with the reloading process. My progressive Dillon still overwhelms me because there's so much going on with every pull of the handle. Don't be afraid to buy a dillon second hand either. They can over haul used machines for cheap.

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 15:28 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

wellhead wrote:

Price (at least for the Lee). For the price of a Lee turret combo, Dies, 1k primers, pound of powder, bag of brass and a box of bullets, you are pretty much just buying the press in most other brands. For those that are just getting started, why recommend that they spend $800-$1200 just to figure out if they even like reloading? Is a Dillon 550 better than a Lee Turret Press? Absolutely! Is a Ferarri better than a Toyota Camry? Absolutely. Both will get you to the range though, and with the Camry you'll have a lot of dollars left in your pocket to waste on ammo components.

Sure, if you are getting into competition shooting and you really need to crank out 1K+ rounds a month, then maybe a Lee isn't the best choice. But for most folks out there that might put 200-300 rounds down range a month (on a good month) then the Lee stuff is just fine, and, it will work to crank out 1K rounds a month but you'll spend more time doing it.

JMHO.

_coder

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” - William Pitt

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 15:51 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

cf_coder, it's really unfair to compare a Lee Turret press to a Dillon 550 as they're not the same. The Lee is a turret and takes 4 strokes of the handle to make 1 round whereas after you get all the stations loaded, the 550 makes 4 rounds in 4 strokes.

Now if you want to compare a Lee to a Dillon, compare the Lee LoadMaster to the 550. It also makes 4 rounds in 4 strokes after all the stations are loaded, does it faster because there's one less step involved (the Lee is an automatic progressive whereas the 550 is a manual progressive) and costs around 1/2 as much money.

Flash

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 16:03 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Now the down side to the Lee is no warranty on everything, and they tend to to take a lot more fiddling to get running smoothly.

Sort of an economy car versus a luxury car. They both get you there, but the expensive one makes for a nicer trip.

Today he has returned via subatomic transporter with his crew, starship and... PANTS unaccounted for.

New postPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 16:19 
New to AZS

I have a RCBS that I bought used to see if I wanted to really get into reloading. I've been considering the Hornaday Lock-N-Load but I'm still in the shopping mode and not understand the economy vs luxury version better.