"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently January 23rd, 2018, 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: SBR build advice
New postPosted: July 13th, 2016, 10:55 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I’m looking at doing a lightweight SBR build and would like thoughts on what I ‘think’ I need for the upper. This will be used mostly suppressed with an Omega suppressor but would like the option of running unsuppressed.

Barrel-10.5”-Considering a Faxon or a Basaltic Advantage. Don’t really know much about either but both seem to be highly recommended. Any others I should consider? Considering this will be mostly suppressed, any down side to getting a lighter barrel that accepts a .625 gas block vrs the barrel that accepts the .750?

Is there such a thing as a heat guard I can attach to the barrel to keep my hand from frying?

Upper-2A Armament Balios Lite

Hand guard 2A lite 10.5. Using this hand guard and a direct thread adaptor for the Omega there shouldn’t be much gap between them. Also it won’t allow access to an adjustable gas block. I also prefer the OD of this hand guard.

BCG-2A Armament regulated- to allow me to tune it to optimal performance and well as reasons mentioned above.

Gas block-2A Ti.

Spring-JP Silent capture. Do I need their regular version or the heavier H2 version?
According to JP’s site they recommend the H2 version. Do I need it if I have an adjustable BCG?

Pricey build for sure but I’m trying to keep it light!

Anything I am forgetting? Do I really need to be able to adjust the gas system?

With all these lightweight parts, will it feel extra nose heavy with the Omega attached?

Am planning on buying these locally at Vertex Ops. They do have a complete 10.5" upper in stock currently but it has the standard BCG.

Thanks for any advice!

Post subject: Re: SBR build advice
New postPosted: July 13th, 2016, 12:49 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

DuneShoot wrote:
I’m looking at doing a lightweight SBR build and would like thoughts on what I ‘think’ I need for the upper. This will be used mostly suppressed with an Omega suppressor but would like the option of running unsuppressed.

Barrel-10.5”-Considering a Faxon or a Basaltic Advantage. Don’t really know much about either but both seem to be highly recommended. Any others I should consider? Considering this will be mostly suppressed, any down side to getting a lighter barrel that accepts a .625 gas block vrs the barrel that accepts the .750?

--- Any 10.5 barrel will be up to you. for what you are wanting it for, any manufactor will be fine. Its not like it needs to be a match barrel. as far as the contour, again, its splitting hairs on what you want.

Is there such a thing as a heat guard I can attach to the barrel to keep my hand from frying?

--- i know in the HK 9x series they had them, but i dont think AR's have that. but unless you are going to do mag dump after mag dump, it wont be that bad. my supressors are more of an "issue" to handle while hot than a handguard

Upper-2A Armament Balios Lite

Hand guard 2A lite 10.5. Using this hand guard and a direct thread adaptor for the Omega there shouldn’t be much gap between them. Also it won’t allow access to an adjustable gas block. I also prefer the OD of this hand guard.

--either go with the normal style (jp) and have to tune with the handguard off or get the POF version and its adj from up front (have jps on a few rifles but put a POF on my latest 10.5).

BCG-2A Armament regulated- to allow me to tune it to optimal performance and well as reasons mentioned above.

Gas block-2A Ti.

Spring-JP Silent capture. Do I need their regular version or the heavier H2 version?
According to JP’s site they recommend the H2 version. Do I need it if I have an adjustable BCG?

--- depends. I have adj gas blocks on all my rifles, but specially on my sbr's. JP says u NEED the h2 version, but i think thats if u are running a std gas block. if u are running an adj gas block then the reg version will be fine, unless u just want to spend the $ (or get the std version that comes with the 3 different types of springs). imo, if u have the adj gas block, i dont c the need/want for an adj bcg.

Pricey build for sure but I’m trying to keep it light!

Anything I am forgetting? Do I really need to be able to adjust the gas system?

-- do u NEED to. No. tuning will have to be done by having an std, H1, H2 and/or H3 buffer and see how the rifle runs with each buffer. me personally, ill take the adjustablity from the gas block and tune that way. This really helped my 308 AR. i have a std JP silent spring and jp gas block and the recoil is a joke. tuned for a suppressor and its less than a 223.

With all these lightweight parts, will it feel extra nose heavy with the Omega attached?

--- light parts or not, its going to feel alittle front heavy, mostly cause you are adding almost a 1 up front. for me and all my short sbr's (7.5-10.5) and my saker/spec war, because my off hand is already up front, the added wait isnt really noticable.

Am planning on buying these locally at Vertex Ops. They do have a complete 10.5" upper in stock currently but it has the standard BCG.

-- idk anything about Vertex, but i personally prefer Nib or NP3 coated BCG's. only cause cleaning them is MUCH easier. and you WILL be cleaning them alot more often. if you have the tools to do it, an adj gas block is pretty easy to install, or see if they have an option to add 1 to 1 of their uppers.

New postPosted: July 13th, 2016, 2:27 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Good info, thanks!

Here is the 2A adjustable carrier-7.9oz:
http://2a-arms.com/products/regulated-bolt-carrier

Here is their full mass carrier that comes in the complete upper-Transfers weight to the rear of the firearm 11oz:
http://2a-arms.com/collections/bolt-carriers/products/full-mass-bolt-carrier

New postPosted: July 13th, 2016, 8:05 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

holy shit those are some $$ ass carriers!

New postPosted: July 14th, 2016, 4:51 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Interesting Thread, I am also waiting on the paperwork to come back on a SBR AR Lower. I guess i need to start looking into the rest of the parts to make it run correctly. Any information relative to what has worked for people, what has not worked etc would be appreciated. I guess i assumed that the upper would be gassed correctly, so it was just a matter of getting a short upper and putting it on the SBR lower once approved. Maybe there is more too it. Does one really need expensive buffers, carriers and adjustable gas systems? Or is it just a fix for a perceived problem like piston AR's? I plan to run both a .300 blackout and a regular 556 upper. Thanks in advance for any advice.

New postPosted: July 14th, 2016, 8:10 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

factory built SBR uppers WILL be over gassed. just the way it is. Its more of, how much "gas in your face" do you want. If you want to stay as "cheap" as possible, then you can get a prebuilt sbr upper, put a sbr lower on it, PROBABLY going to need atleast an H2 buffer, but then its good to go. for the most part it should run just fine. may be alittle harsh recoild and alot of gas to the face, but it will run.

Now, add an adj gas block (imo prob the biggest/first thing that should be done to any SBR). you can tune it so it cycles just enough and that gas to the gas is GREATLY reduced. Add a suppressor and tune it again and it will save alot of gas to the face.

As far as buffers, you can get away with an H2. I have h2's in 2 of my sbr's and it runs fine *they also have adj gas blocks*. in reality, I prob didnt need to use an H2 buffer since i have the adj gas block but i had bought them in a kit so i just used them. in fact my latest sbr build has an adj gas block and reg buffer but i havent taken it out yet. The JP silenct capture spring is NICE, but not needed. For my bench rest 308 i got 1, just cause suppressed, all u hear was that damn "THHHWWANNGGG" from the spring. my 10.5 has 1, but my others dont.

as far as carrier, i guess if you WANT tunability but dont want to get an adj gas block and better buffer, the adj carrier is a good idea. Personally i dont get it, but imo thats prob because im more bias to the adj gas blocks. all my uppers have either Nib or NP3 BCG's. i think my 308 was the most $ but all my others I got at AIM for $100. Do you NEED Nib or Np3, no, but having them makes them cleaning way easier. literally wipe away with a rag and done. i have 1 reg black bcg and HATE cleaning it.

this latest 10.5 build has been;
Billet upper - 60
rail - 100
barrel - 100
adj gas block - 125
complete bcg - 100
charing handle - 50
billet lower - 60
moe lpk / buffer kit - 125

so $720'ish for a complete sbr build, and add $200 for the stamp

New postPosted: July 14th, 2016, 10:20 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Thanks again.

New postPosted: July 14th, 2016, 10:22 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Good info, what type or brand of Adjustable gas block do you prefer. I already had purchased the H2 buffers. The adjustable gas block seems like a good option. Especially since i plan to run both 556 and 300 blackout suppressed.

New postPosted: July 14th, 2016, 11:07 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

h8pvmnt wrote:
Good info, what type or brand of Adjustable gas block do you prefer. I already had purchased the H2 buffers. The adjustable gas block seems like a good option. Especially since i plan to run both 556 and 300 blackout suppressed.

I've started using SLR Rifleworks adjustable gasblocks for all my builds that need an adjustable block, and I won't go back to anything else. They work great and they fit perfectly under all the slim handguards I have tried without having to do any modifications.

301 W Deer Valley Rd, Suite #6
Phoenix, AZ 85027
623-434-8372
www.cactustactical.com
www.shotgun-gear.com

New postPosted: July 14th, 2016, 11:10 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

h8pvmnt wrote:

I have done JP, mostly cause of how impressed i was with the 1 i put on my 308. my latest 10.5 i did the POF dictator. I like it for the fact that swapping from suppressed and not suppressed is easier then the JP. but on the same end, its not as precise as the JP. but for something thats just a range toy, the POF is just fine cause im not looking for EXACT tunabilty. I have heard SLR's are good. my friend has a Micro MOA Guvnah on his DD10.3 and likes it.

New postPosted: July 15th, 2016, 5:07 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I have 3 Syrac, 1 is the gen 1 and the others are the gen 2 (click adjust over depressing a lock button) and another I have a SLR

I like both the Syrac gen 2 and SLR neither gives me any issues. Lighter recoil shooting unsuppressed and no cycling issues shooting suppressed

Prefer these style over 3 click systems like Noveske, Adams Arms, etc. You get more adjustment out of the above mentioned.

New postPosted: July 20th, 2016, 7:05 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I went ahead and did it. 2A 10.5" upper with their adjustable carrier.
I tried a JP Silent capture buffer spring (standard weight) that I already had. Vertex Ops who I got this upper from suggested using JP's heavier version.

During the 1st magazine I was adjusting the gas and sighting in the MRO red dot. On the last round the bolt got stuck behind the bolt release. I could not release it with the bolt release lever or the charging handle. Had to press the bolt release inside the upper with a screw driver to get the bolt to move forward. 2nd and 3rd mag was similar but I was able to use the bolt release lever but had to use much more force than usual. After that it was normal operation. I weighed the buffer that was in it (from PWS) and the JP, they were the same however my scale is not very accurate for light items.

This is on a PWS lower that had a PWS piston upper with a Weaver 1-3 scope in an Aero lightweight mount.
With this new upper and the MRO it's almost 2 pounds lighter. Suppressor endcap's are new but weigh almost the same as the ASR mount and the brake that was on it.

The suppressor with direct thread mount meets up with the hand guard perfectly. I will get the Ti end cap coated at some point. Waiting on the release of the Ti direct thread mount which should save a considerable amount of weight.

New postPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 9:43 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

How do you figure SBRs are over gassed? Just the opposite in my experience. No barrel length past the gas port to build pressure. All that fancy stuff is unnecessary and over complicated but as long as it runs cool.

New postPosted: July 26th, 2016, 8:43 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

gunslinger55 wrote:
How do you figure SBRs are over gassed? Just the opposite in my experience. No barrel length past the gas port to build pressure.

Does peak pressure occur before or after the bullet passes a pistol length gas port? I am processing through not only how much the amount of pressure has on an AR's function, but also how much the time that pressure has affects it. (Which would then enable me to process through how different components can impact these variables.)

New postPosted: September 26th, 2016, 10:06 pm 
New to AZS

gunslinger55 wrote:
How do you figure SBRs are over gassed? Just the opposite in my experience. No barrel length past the gas port to build pressure. All that fancy stuff is unnecessary and over complicated but as long as it runs cool.

Yeah, I would think the easiest way to go about it is to just buy a pistol or pistol upper. The manufacturer has already done all the R&D on it.