"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:37

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Custom Search

Post subject: Adjusting trigger pull weight
New postPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 12:39 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

About a year ago I dropped in a C&S 4.5 lb. Ignition kit into my SA Mill-Spec. At that time I did not have access to a trigger pull gauge, but everything worked and I liked it, so I kept on shooting.

Fast forward to last week when my new trigger pull gauge arrived. First thing I tested was my Mil-Spec, and it pulled at 2.5 lbs.!

I would like to get it to the 4 to 4.5 lb range since this is my EDC.

Is this going to be as simple as tweaking the sear spring? Can I gain 2 lbs this way?

I also swapped out the stock MSH for a Smith & Alexander magwell MSH if that has any bearing on the issue. I am wondering if the different MSH is changing the tension on the leaf spring? I did swap out all the internals in the MSH for the non-ILS equipment.

Thanks for your input.

Post subject: Re: Adjusting trigger pull weight
New postPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 09:47 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

You can easily gain 2.5 lbs from tweaking the sear spring. To keep things feeling right you might want to tune the trigger finger and sear finger separately with your trigger pull gauge. If you need an explanation on that let me know. Otherwise I won't waste your time.

One thing to remember when tuning the spring is to pay attention to the sear in relation to the disconnector when tuning the sear finger. Make sure the sear feet are behind the disconnector instead of on top, or you will get a false reading.

New postPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 13:54 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Please do explain if you have time. I am just starting to crawl up the learning curve slope, so any and all info is greatly appreciated!

New postPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 06:54 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Quote:
I also swapped out the stock MSH for a Smith & Alexander magwell MSH ........

If you're using a new standard length and weight mainspring with the C&S MSH, it should have little or no bearing. SA mainsprings are shorter because of the ILS. You *could* come up with a combination of parts that would inadvertently bring your pull down to 2.5 for a 4.5 kit.

Just a thought...